Skip to content

Undocumented students attending institutions of higher education in the state of Utah are required to pay out-of-state tuition. However, House Bill 144 allows qualifying students to attend Utah universities and colleges by paying in-state tuition despite not having Utah residency status.

Whether you qualify for HB 144 or not, we highly encourage you to check it out. It includes funding opportunities for students who are undocumented and DACA recipients.


Todd Taylor, Admissions Counselor

HB 144 Tuition Waiver Requirements

  1. Must be admitted as a student to the University of Utah
  2. Have attended high school in the state of Utah for three or more years
  3. Graduated from a Utah high school or attained the equivalent of a high school diploma prior to the start of the term (i.e. GED)
  4. Cannot have registered for college classes prior to the Fall of the 2002-2003 academic school year
  5. Cannot have their first enrollment at an institution of higher education outside of the Utah System of Higher Education
  6. Must have filed an application to legalize their immigration status or will file an application as soon as they are eligible

Upon meeting the requirements, download and fill out the HB 144 Affidavit

admissions hb144 waiver request affidavit

Mail your completed request form to:

The University of Utah
Office of Admissions
201 South 1460 E. Room 250S
Salt Lake City, UT 84112-9057

Last Updated: 6/6/23